We all know that water is essential to our health, but we may not know why that is true. Our body weight is made up of about 60% water, and every system in our body depends on water. Everyday our body loses water due to breathing, perspiration, and digestion. Many factors contribute to the amount of water we need to consume including: environment, physical activity, illness, and pregnancy and breast feeding. According to the Institue of Medicine, men should consume around 3 liters (13 cups) of water per day, and women should consume around 2.2 liters (9 cups) of water per day.
Top 10 Reasons to Drink Water:
1. Water is essential. Without food we can live about 1 month, but without water we will only live about 1 week.
2. Water helps us to maintain a healthy weight. It increases our metabolism and helps to regulate our appetite.
3. Water increases our energy levels.
4. Water can decrease the risk for some cancers. Consuming enough water can decrease the risk for colon cancer, bladder cancer, and breast cancer.
5. Water consumption can help to reduce joint and back pain.
6. Water makes us healthier. Water helps to flush out wastes and disease causing bacteria.
7. Water can prevent and alleviate headaches.
8. Water has the ability to naturally moisturize skin.
9. Water aids in digestion and helps to prevent constipation.
10. Water is a mode for transportation. Water is essential for proper circulation within the body.